As Canberra matures as a capital city and our environmental awareness grows, a stronger focus on urban renewal is vital to the ongoing vibrancy, liveability and sustainability of our city.
Urban renewal is a core priority of the ACT Government. It is vital to growing Canberra’s economy and strengthening our community. The government’s urban renewal program will make Canberra a more prosperous, compact, liveable and sustainable city that can support a growing population, is more connected and has better places and spaces. It will increase Canberrans’ choices about how and where they live.
The transformation of the Canberra Brickworks Precinct is a showcase urban renewal project for the ACT. The vision is to create a vibrant new community around a revitalised Canberra Brickworks, and delivering high-quality sustainable planning, transport and public realm benefits for current and future residents and visitors.
The project incorporates a vision for the development that focuses on the following key elements:
- CELEBRATION OF HERITAGE - establishing a viable future use for the Canberra Brickworks to ensure its physical conservation and to protect its history
- INTEGRATION WITH LANDSCAPE - embedding existing landscape character into the design of streets, parklands, public and private space
- STREETS FOR PEOPLE - making safe movement of pedestrians and cyclists a priority
- DIVERSITY OF HOUSING - providing alternative housing types to suit the diversity and needs of a growing Canberra
- ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY - promoting environmentally sustainable homes, streets and open spaces.
Sign up below to receive information about the LDA's upcoming land releases, events and other activities from time to time.