The Canberra Brickworks + Environs Planning and Development Strategy – The Current Strategy
The ACT Government has provided in-principle support for development of the land defined in the current Strategy for the Canberra Brickworks + Environs, subject to relevant ACT and Commonwealth statutory processes.
The current Strategy facilitates restoration of the historic Canberra Brickworks and the new development of high quality public facilities including three parks – a spectacular Quarry Park on the site of the old quarry, Denman Street Park (between nearby Yarralumla and the proposed new community) and a third park incorporating the Yarralumla Railway Remnants heritage area. The proposal provides a range of housing options and will create a major new public space in Canberra that can be used for a myriad of activities – such as community and cultural events, pop-ups to support new and creative enterprises and future opportunities for adaptive reuse of the Brickworks will be explored.
The Canberra Brickworks + Environs Planning and Development Strategy (2013) has been prepared following commissioning of a Conservation Management Plan to address the heritage restoration of the Brickworks and broad community consultation in 2010-2011.
Key features of the current Strategy include:
- Initial ‘make safe’ of the Brickworks to allow potential future uses
- The development of three new high quality urban parklands, incorporating Canberra Brickworks and associated railway remnants
- The construction of approximately 1,600 new dwellings and approximately 15,000 sqm of commercial space
- Building heights that are respectful of the existing scale of neighbouring suburbs and where appropriate, increased heights that deliver density along current transport corridors
- A layout that respects the ceremonial approach to Government House.
Current and draft Strategies
Details of the current and earlier proposals are shown in this table.
Why is more housing proposed?
The current Strategy includes more dwellings than the 2010 draft Strategy had proposed, in line with the ACT’s strategic planning policy. Located adjacent to the major transport corridors of Cotter Road and Adelaide Avenue, the Canberra Brickworks + Environs project is well placed to meet the needs of Canberra’s growing population. New residents will enjoy convenient access to public transport options (including blue rapid bus and bike service), community facilities, recreation areas, and a host of other amenities in the local area and nearby Canberra city centre.
Balancing public access, heritage and commercial outcomes
The ACT Government recognises the need to stop the deterioration of the Canberra Brickworks quickly. Consequently the LDA will provide an initial up-front investment of $1.5 million in the Brickworks to make them safe for public access. These repair works will open up opportunities for future adaptive reuse of the Brickworks for purposes such as cafes, restaurants, offices, small shops or community uses. This is in addition to the ACT Government’s commitment of $2.9 million towards remediation of contaminated soil within the site to make the area safe for future users.
The current Strategy seeks to respond to the key objectives of the Canberra Brickworks + Environs project – to develop a Strategy that:
- Results in a flexible, fully integrated planning framework to guide land use, transport and infrastructure improvements in the area
- Proposes attractive solutions that are feasible from an economic, social, environmental and engineering perspective
- Demonstrates design excellence
- Reflects the unique characteristics of the study area
- Provides for improved connectivity – including private vehicle, public transport, pedestrian and cyclists
- Reconciles the concerns, priorities and aspirations of all stakeholders while reinforcing the national and regional significance of this location – ideally it will create a way forward that has the potential to be accepted by and beneficial to all key stakeholders
- Informs forward planning including capital works budgets, amendment to the Territory Plan and to the National Capital Plan, and provide a long term strategic view for the study area
- Designs for incremental growth and development phasing and considers ongoing management responsibilities.
3D Animated Fly-through
The 3D animation illustrates the current Canberra Brickworks + Environs Planning and Development Strategy (2013). It provides site location, context and artists interpretation of the proposed development form and scale.
Sign up below to receive information about the LDA's upcoming land releases, events and other activities from time to time.